DIY

One Room Challenge – Week 6

download

Well, this is the point where I’m mildly panicking I won’t finish my first ORC.  Eeeeek!  We’ve made some amazing progress, especially the husband’s contribution with the woodworking, but I’m still behind.  Last week I skipped an update due to just not wanting to turn on computer.  Truth.  But this week I’m back with a sneak peek of the big reveal.

IMG_8765.jpg

We installed the molding, finished painting, and wrapped up the wallpaper installation.  If you take anything away from this project, I hope it’s this – removable wallpaper is AMAZING.  Trust me, I was a non-believer.  I planned on trying the removable wallpaper but in the back of my mind I was prepared for it not to work.  I am as shocked as anyone that I fell in love with it!

It was so easy to install even with three kids running around.  I didn’t buy a fancy tool to smooth it out and just used my hands.  A few times I had to remove it and re-position the wallpaper with no issues.  I worried it would rip or get tangled up – no problems at all.  I went with the wallpaper below from Target because, hello, who doesn’t love Target?!  It only took one roll of paper to do the entire project.  At $29.99 a roll that’s an impressive return on investment considering how much it makes the faux mudroom pop.  The only negative to using the wallpaper?  I now want to put wallpaper on everything.

50730449_Alt01Devine Color Speckled Dot Peel & Stick Wallpaper

I’m excited for next week’s big reveal.  Fingers (and toes!) crossed I pull off the big finish in time.  Happy Thursday!

DIY

One Room Challenge – Week Four

download

Week four of the One Room Challenge, and we’re chugging along.  I’m a little worried we won’t be finished on time.  The wallpaper was delivered and like I suspected the buffalo check print is too large for the small space.  Onto Plan B.  I couldn’t let go of the black & white, though, and found this speckled dot pattern.  Eeeeek.  I can’t wait to hang it up.

50730449_Alt01.jpeg

We made so much progress over the weekend.  Everything is installed except the bench, trim, and hooks then I’ll paint everything a crisp white.  The hardest part of this project has been measuring and building the shelves.  After discovering the wall is slightly uneven it took more time than planned to make everything even.  Installing the bead board was a piece of cake so it balances out.  Now onto those progress pics!

IMG_8706

IMG_8711

The one thing I have yet to find is a light fixture.  We have a can light to convert into a pendant, and everything I like is on backorder for months.  I found this pendant light at Home Depot and find the casual industrial vibe could work.  Since the narrow hallway is a bit dark, I was leaning towards a glass fixture to enable more light to shine.  I’d love some ideas and suggestions if you’ve used a can light conversion kit you liked.

brushed-bronze-home-decorators-collection-pendant-lights-8188200280-64_1000.jpg

Pressure is on to wrap this project up in the next two weeks.  I tend to work best under pressure – I won’t be surprised if things aren’t finished until the last possible day.

DIY · Home Decor

Faux Roman Shades

My list of home projects I want to tackle is loooooong, and I have a history of starting a project yet never finishing it.  Life has a habit of getting in the way.  It’s because of this that Friday’s finished project is extra exciting for me.  I actually completed something – faux roman shades for the laundry room.  My inspiration was the Evolution of Style Blog’s post about ’em.  She followed the tutorial from Imparting Grace.  Without further ado….

Whoever built this house made it way too narrow but that’s a story for another day.  This window had a valance that I ripped down upon immediately moving in; hence the brackets in the trim.  Note: I was doing laundry during the making of this project.

BEFORE

IMG_8391

AFTER

IMG_8398.jpg

The window faces trees and bushes so there wasn’t need for privacy.  I selected a window panel at the Ballard Design Outlet for $45.  A little more than I wanted to spend for this project but it was lined.  Since this side faces west, it provides decent sun coverage.  The only other cost was 3 cheap tension rods and no-sew fusing web from Target.  It took maybe 45 minutes from start to finish.  However, I may have been watching TV and doing laundry while doing it.

If you’re looking for a quick, cheap and relatively easy project this weekend I highly recommend the Faux Roman Shade.