Nothing like wrapping up this challenge hours before it closes. The light fixture went up last night. I’m still cleaning up dust and too and my sanity. That said I’m insanely proud of this space. It went from an eye sore to a space that makes me smile each time I walk by. Plus it’s the first big project I’ve finished in awhile. The ORC was a wonderful experience as it forced me to commit to a deadline. Without further ado here is the closet turned mudroom….
And for comparison here’s the ugly before photos. Back when we just tossed everything in and hoped for the best. Yikes. Embarrassing. No more closet door traffic jams!
With winter blowing in, it will be useful having a space that works for our family. We still have one more piece to finish, and if you look closely you see the closet molding still in-tact. Our plan is to remove all the molding, drywall over it, and paint. It will look a bit less like a closet turned mudroom then, I think.
Thanks to Linda at Calling It Home for hosting the One Room Challenge. As a newbie, it was a great opportunity to get my feet wet. Go to her site to check out the other amazing guest participants. Happy Sunday!
Wallpaper – Target
Light fixture – Wayfair
Fabric – Hawthorne Threads
Baskets, gold labels & wall organizer – Container Store
Hooks & lumber & paint – Home Depot
Pillow – Home Goods
Gosh, life keeps getting in the way of moving out on this blog. More on that later this week. It’s time for Part 2 of our first major home renovation. The messiest and noisiest part of the project was ripping up the porcelain tile. Our contractors worked incredibly hard at keeping the house as clean as possible during the construction. They did a phenomenal job cleaning up after themselves each day.
After weighing the options for the type of hardwood, we went with a mix of rift and quarter sawn white oak. Rift & Quarter Sawn boards have a different look (i.e. less knots) and more dimensional stability. They’re created by initially cutting a log into quarters and cutting boards from alternate faces of the wedge. Since making this type of wood is more time consuming, it certainly comes at a higher cost.
Below are images of the house mid-process. The bottom right is the unstained wood being installed.
The contractor stained all the floors after it was installed. Since we were trying to match existing wood banister on our stairs, it made more sense to select a color after installation. The finished product wound up pretty close to the banisters but not quite exactly. For now, we’ll live with it. Here’s a peek at our family room and stairs.
We’re much happier with the warmth of wood on the main flooring. The only downside is it’s still pretty slippery for the kids and our dog. I foresee a stair runner in our future for safety reasons.